How International Students Can Transfer to a U.S. University

Online masters in data analytics student reflects on her educational path as an international student

May 18, 2020 | By GTPE Communications
Female international student learning online

Education is a global endeavor. For many students, their educational goals may take them outside their home country. The process of transferring to a U.S. university from outside the country can be complex and often confusing. There are many different ways to make the transition, so it is important to be aware of all the options before beginning the process.

Ai My Thai is a student who decided to obtain her post-secondary education outside of her home country of Vietnam. First, she enrolled in Green River College in Washington and spent three years there earning her high school diploma and two associate degrees in science and engineering. Then, she transferred to Georgia Tech where she earned a Bachelor of Science in aerospace engineering. Thai is now enrolled in Georgia Tech's Online Master of Science in Analytics program while working full-time at Delta Airlines.

Thai’s educational path is one example of many potential options that international students may choose. Some may begin taking courses at a university in their home country, while others may start at a U.S. two-year community college, like Thai. Still others may enroll in a four-year university, then decide to transfer to a different four-year university along the way. In any pathway, there are opportunities and there are challenges. Read the full article on U.S. News to learn more about each option and Thai’s experience.